Citizenship Through Naturalization Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

In most cases, an applicant for naturalization must be a permanent resident (green card holder) before filing.  Except for certain U.S. military members and their dependents, naturalization can only be granted in the United States. Citizenship Through Parents
Whether someone born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is a U.S. citizen depends on the law in effect when the person was born. 

These laws have changed over the years, but usually require a combination of at least one parent being a U.S. citizen when the child was born and having lived in the U.S. or its possessions for a period of time. Additionally, children born outside the United States may become citizens after birth based on their parent’s citizenship or naturalization. 

U.S. PERMANENT RESIDENT  Green Card Through Family Many people become permanent residents (get a green card) through family members. The United States promotes family unity and allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to petition for certain relatives to come and live permanently in the United States.

There are two distinct paths through which you can get your green card. Many family members who are already in the United States may qualify for adjustment of status to permanent residence in the United States, which means they are able to complete their immigrant processing without having to return to their home country. Those relatives outside the United States or those who are not eligible to adjust status in the United States may be eligible for consular processing through a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad that has jurisdiction over their foreign place of residence. Green Card Through a Job  Many people become permanent residents through a job or offer of employment. Some categories require a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor to show that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available in the geographic area where the immigrant is to be employed and that no American workers are displaced by foreign workers. In other cases, highly skilled workers, those with extraordinary ability in certain professions, and investors/entrepreneurs are given priority to immigrate through several immigrant categories. In all cases, the process involves several steps.

  • Green Card Through a Job Offer
  • Green Card Through Investment

Other Ways to Get a Green Card
Although most immigrants come to live permanently in the United States through a family member’s sponsorship, employment, or a job offer, there are many other ways to get a green card (permanent residence).  Diversity Immigrant Visa Program Registry Religious Worker Battered Spouse or Child (VAWA) K Nonimmigrant (includes fiancé(e)) V Nonimmigrant Widow(er) After a Green Card is Granted

  • Replace a Green Card
  • Renew a Green Card

International Travel as a Permanent Resident 
  – Advance Parole
  – Refugee Travel Document
  – Reentry Permit Removal of Conditional Permanent Residence Status

A conditional permanent resident receives a green card valid for 2 years. In order to remain a permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The conditions must be removed or you will lose your permanent resident status. Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence for Entrepreneurs (Investors)
Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on investment. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States for a 2 year period.

You must file a Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions, to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status within 90 days before the second anniversary of your admission to the United States as a conditional resident.

U.S. Citizenship
• U.S. Permanent Residence
Nonimmigrant Working Visas
Temporary Visitors for Business or Pleasure
• Notice of Appeal or Motion
• Affidavit of Support 
• Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act 
Humanitarian Benefit


Nancy’s Immigration Paralegal Service Co LLC

PHONE: (818) 861-4733 
FAX: (818) 465-4622